Page Turners

Here is a list of books that have been shared on KMA's Page Turners with the Shenandoah Public Library.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

American Nerd: The Story of My People  - By Benjamin Nugent

Let me preface this comment by saying this - I consider myself a nerd.  And so does Mr. Nugent, for a variety of reasons which he enumerates in this fascinating look at a sub-culture/psychological phenomenon.  He explores many aspects of "nerdiness" from social stigma to Aspberger's autism to "nerd chic."  However, this insightful book goes beyond the surface of the stereotype to explore the deeper reasons nerds are attracted to things like fantasy literature, computers and gaming.  I highly recommend it to anyone who is a nerd, knows a nerd, or wonders what the big deal is about pocket protectors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home